Saturday, May 1, 2010

Thesis update

The progression of my thesis project so far........

I am now focused on creating an assistive electronic visual art device for palliative care patients. The main change in my design is; the device is now going to be located in an art room setting instead of being attached to the motomed as originally planned. I feel patient interaction with the device will be optimised when it is detached from the motomed as the patient will not be confronted with too many controls and interfaces at once and as I do not want to incorporate pedaling with making art. I still hope to make a connection between going on a journey using the motomed (Lette and Jills project) and creating pictures using the visual art device.

Art and art therapy can help many elderly and palliative care patients in their everyday lives. It is essential to distinguish the difference between art and art therapy. I would like the device to be able to cater for the experienced artist that wants to create a great amount of detail in a painting and also for the casual painter who just want to create a casual scene to express themselves. Art can be a way of dealing with their illness and with their end of life. This video (unfortunately it did not allow me to embed it) captures the importance of art therapy to seniors and a video which gave me some inspiration for my idea.

Slides from my thesis presentation
After another meeting with the head of physiotherapy and the head of the art department in Milford Care Centre in Limerick, specific disabilities relating to three patients in particular were discussed. The art therapist outlined three patients in-particular that would have a great interest in my assistive art device. These patients are very interested in art but are now unable to make art due to their disability. Workers in the art department have tried themselves to make assistive devices to help patients like these to paint and they are excited about the idea of creating an electronic assistive device.

My idea will try to incorporate the traditional materials and method of painting:


into an electronic device:

Below are images of how a patient may interact with my device:

Above is a touch screen paint program.

Below is a wacum drawing tablet that requires a pen to draw or paint. It is a touch sensitive device similar to a mouse and allows the user to manipulate the pointer on the screen in much the same way that an artist would use a drawing tool like a paint brush or pencil. In addition to moving the pointer from one place to another on the computer screen the pen may have a pressure sensitive tip that will allow the user to draw and sketch on a digital tablet with precision.


Disabilities to try to design for:
  • Arthritis
  • Hand tremors
  • Multiple Sclerosis/spinal injury patients that use their mouth to paint.
These devices do not overcome the restrictions of a patient who paints with their mouth in any transforming way but they are one avenue to explore and expand upon and the may help other patients with other disabilities. I found this fascinating website about J-C who after a spinal cord injury is paralysed from the neck down. The website shows a collection of his work and how he paints with the paintbrush in his mouth, behind a heightened table:


Some patients use motorized wheel chairs, so they are accustomed some what to assistive devices. I would like to incorporate features on devices like the wheel chair somehow to give them a sense of familiarity. As well as this some patients have quite a high level of computer literacy, this is good because I feel they will be less likely to shy away from technology.

Potential control; joystick:


I am really focused on narrowing down the capabilities of the art device. My aim now is to create a simple solution for the needs of approximately 3 patients. I would like to make it a mobile device which can be used in the patients bedroom as well as in the art room.
I will integrate this research with literature on technology and art and rehabilitation as well as consulting many medical journals. I have read journals on the shannon portal, cultural probes also and they given me many insights and ideas on how to conduct research and design for the older generation. Discussing scenarios with the patients as well as introducing them to devices similar to what I am trying to create, to see how they interact with them. One problem is I am not an art therapist nor a diagnostician and I have limited knowledge in this area. Research, observations of art classes, interviews with staff and talking and interacting with the patients will be of vital importance here. I am waiting on a comprehensive list of disabilities of Milford Care Centre patients and of patients interested in taking part in my research, this will help me design more rigidly for my device.



My next blog will focus on HOW I could build and make the assistive devices suggested!!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home